With the implementation of the Common Core Learning Standards, the district recently adopted the Math Expressions resources for grades K-5. Math Expressions is a comprehensive, standards-based K-5 mathematics resource that offers a balanced approach to teaching and learning mathematics. Math Expressions uses manipulatives, visual models, conceptual language, and real-world situations to help students build deep mathematical understanding.
What does Math Expressions look like in the classroom?
- Quick Practice – Involves whole-class responses or individual partner practice and is frequently led by student leaders.
- Student Leaders – Teachers facilitate students' growth by helping all students take on leadership roles with structured practice activities.
- Building Concepts – Objects, drawings, conceptual language, and real-world situations strengthen mathematical ideas and understanding.
- Math Talk – Students explain thinking using drawings that support understandings and promote meanings.
- Helping Community – A classroom in which everyone is both a teacher and a learner to enhance mathematical understanding, competence, and confidence.